Friday, March 21, 2014

New Fizz and Syndra skins!

Happy second day of spring!  Besides the end of winter, Fizz and Syndra fans have more to look forward to with the potential upcoming release of two new skins.  Both are currently on the PBE, so as with all unreleased content, just about everything is subject to change - including particles, animations, sounds and visual effects.  While it's a relatively safe bet these will be coming out soon, a leaked video is no guarantee of imminent release - Scorched Earth Renekton was on hold for more than a year after the video hit YouTube but before being the skin was available for purchase.



With that said, first up we have a community inspired skin - Void Fizz.


I don't even play Fizz and I'm excited for this.  I remember seeing the original fan art and hoping Riot picked it up.  The skin draws from the general void palate of purple and...deeper purple so it fits in nicely with the likes of Vel'koz, Kha'zix and Malzahar.  To my mind, Fizz's overall shape was already fairly otherwordly that a simple color swap would have been enough to take him from deepsea dweller to void invader.  The minor tweaks to the model like the third eye only serve to show the growth in quality and attention to detail by Riot's skins team over the past few years.  The voice filter is an excellent touch - even with the same lines,just changing the sound of his voice is a great way to sell the fantasy without going for broke and investing the resources that would warrant a legendary skin by adding new voice overs.  His animations and particles mesh well with his new theme - purple flashes and dark energy paired with a new trident as an animated claw.  Last, but certainly not least, his ultimate - it's suitably epic, though personally I wish that the "fish" had, like in the original fan art, been the been a smaller version of one of Malzahar's voidlings (though only because I found it adorable).  The tiny cephelapod-type thing fits with the Cthulu/Old Ones niche Riot is aming to fill with the Void (see what I did there?) in their lore.  The "shark" is appropriately alien and while i can see why some would want Cho'gath, I like the idea of another type of void creature that's just able to fit its giant mouth and teeth through the portal, which fits way better with Fizz's ult. All in all, I might have to start learning Fizz to prepare for this skin, which if I had to guess, would come out as 1350 RP.

Next, interestingly enough, we have a Syndra skin that shares a theme with one of Fizz's older skins - Atlantean Syndra.


I actually play Syndra a fair bit - I love both the character and gameplay aspects of the champion.  She's overall pretty awesome.  So I was particularly excited when I saw the teaser for a new Syndra skin.  I wanted love it.  As you can probably guess, I didn't.  I don't dislike it either, but instead have that same feeling as every other player getting a skin for one of their favorite champions after a long time - you want it to suit your tastes perfectly.  That being said, just because it's not to my tastes doesn't mean it won't be to many other people.  Objectively it's a pretty good skin.  The water theme makes sense for Syndra - her spheres become bubbles and the other spell effects translate well from energy to water.  I particularly like the wave effect on "scatter the weak."  Her auto-attacks being changed to jets of water is also a nice touch.  The model is probably why I'm not as thrilled with it - it just seems...blue. Fizz is purple, yes, but his base skin is primarily one color as well.  Syndra has at least three colors in her base - white, purple and skin tone, so replacing them all with different shades of the same color doesn't seem as visually interesting.  In regards to model changes, Syndra's sporting new armor and a headpiece and her hair has become more tentacle-like, which fits, I suppose.  All in all, I may give this one a pass.  However, it's still a Syndra skin so it's possible it will grow on me and I'll end up picking it up on sale for a new look, especially if it comes out at 975, making the sale price a very reasonable 487 RP.

On a parting note, Riot just officially announced a new Varus skin - his third - Arctic Ops Varus!  Riot clearly likes to use fire and ice themes for skins so a slightly different than what could have been a standard "ice archer" is definitely welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment